didcotdentist.co.uk    |    Dr. James M Brown & Associates    |    8 Lostock Place, Didcot, OX11 7XT
Tel: 01235 815000    |    email: enquiries@didcotdentist.co.uk

Frequently Asked Questions: Emergencies.

Q. What is the best thing to do if a whole tooth is knocked out?
A. In surgery hours contact the practice immediately on 01235 815000. Outside surgery hours contact NHS Direct. Keep the tooth in the inside of your cheek, or wrap it in a clean cloth and store it in a container filled with milk. It may be possible to re-implant the tooth within half an hour of the injury.

Q. What should I do if my child falls and breaks a tooth?
A. Call the surgery to ask for advice and make an appointment as soon as possible. Use the recommended dose of Calpol to ease any pain or discomfort, stick to soft foods and keep the affected area as clean as possible by washing with hot salt-water and brushing gently.

Q. If my crown comes away from the tooth what can I do to hold it in place until I get to the surgery?
A. Denture adhesive will hold the crown in place for a short while and sugar free chewing gum is an emergency solution but never use superglue to fix a crown and always get to the surgery as soon as possible.

Q. What should I do if I break my denture and need an urgent replacement?
A. If your denture breaks, never stick the denture together with superglue. Contact the practice during surgery hours on 01235 815000. If the surgery is closed, use the phone book to find the nearest Dental Technician who can repair your denture.

See Dentures

Q. What should I do if I break a tooth while eating?
A. Call the surgery as soon as possible on 01235 815000 to make an appointment, keep the tooth clean and avoid biting down hard.

Q. Can clove oil ease the pain of toothache?
A. Clove oil has anaesthetic properties and it can ease the pain but, if you are suffering from toothache, always make an appointment with the surgery as soon as possible.

Q. Can teeth that have suffered a sharp blow and turned blue/black be repaired?
A. Root canal therapy can help to save the tooth and, depending on the severity, the colour can be restored by tooth whitening, veneers or crowns. Your dentist will advise you of the best option for you.